Although the pandemic has curtailed many of our travels, there are still great places to visit close to home! Each recommendation below comes from the real-life experiences of people you know and trust.
This month's destination is Fryslân!
Fryslân is a Dutch province in the north of the country, along the Wadden Sea. It has a wide range of things to do and places to see. Enjoy exploring!
- On Vlieland, Hotel Seeduin is practically right on the North Sea beach and is great for families.
- The lighthouse in Harlingen (note: there are other interesting lodging options also available!
- De Vrouwe van Stavoren - we booked the wine barrel room
- Alibi Hostel Leeuwarden (old jail turned hostel)
- De Tjotter - they have the best fish expertly cooked! We always make sure we stop in Harlingen either before or after visiting Vlieland. (editor's note: this one received more than one recommendation!)
- de Baai van Lemmer - Lemmer - seafood
- Speciaal Cafe se Markie - Leeuwarden - craft beer
- Grand Cafe de Bommel - Sneek - local craft beer
- Bonifatius 754 - Dokkum - Dokkum craft beer
- Rent a boat in Wouds End and travel to all the 'Elf Steden' by water
- Biking to all the 11 cities and finding their fountains
- Eise Eisinga Planetarium in Franeker
- Finding the miniature people in Leeuwarden
- Uniastate in Bears
- Biking in small towns around Friesland: some amazing sculptures in Koterwolde, an upside down house near the train station in Hindelopen, 3D pictures painted on the ground in Sneek, large sculptures in Sint Nicolassga, and the delft tile bridge of skaters who completed the Elfstdentocht in Miedum
- Biking, walks the beaches. I like long walks on the beach callantsoog and the forest.
Due to the ever-changing nature of the global pandemic, be sure to check the Netherland's coronavirus page, Fryslân's coronavirus page, plus any city-specific websites for up-to-date information about rules, closures, and prevention measures.
Do you have tips you'd like to add? In our member's only Facebook group, join the lively conversation!
Next, we'll be sharing tips for Eindhoven! Please help fellow AWCAers by sharing your experiences in our our very short survey.