Named after a 1927 founding member of the American Women’s Club of Amsterdam, the Carolyn Korthals Altes Scholarship assists an AWCA member, or the child or grandchild of an AWCA member, in pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree at an accredited or otherwise recognized post-secondary institution in any country.
Types of Scholarships Offered
The available scholarships are:
- First-Time Undergraduate Scholarship: One scholarship is available for applicants who will be enrolling in a post-secondary program of study for the first time (e.g., current high school seniors, gap year students, and the equivalent).
- Experienced Post-Secondary / Non-Traditional Students Scholarship: One scholarship will be available for applicants who already have some post-secondary education (e.g., current undergraduate and graduate students) or for non-traditional students (adults with significant life experience who will be enrolling in a post-secondary program of study).
In 2021, each scholarship was €1500. We will not award a scholarship in a Club year lacking a qualified applicant.
Who is Eligible?
- Any Full or Associate AWCA member in good standing; or
- Any child or grandchild of a Full or Associate AWCA member in good standing. These applicants may live anywhere in the world and must be under 24 years of age at the time of application.
- Prior recipients of the scholarship may not reapply.
- You must demonstrate strong academic performance, as measured by the student’s school.
- Career performance will also be considered for post-secondary scholarship applicants.
By January 1 in the year following the application, all scholarship winners shall be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program of study at an accredited or otherwise recognized post-secondary institution in any country. This program may lead to an undergraduate or graduate degree or professional certification that contributes significantly to the applicant’s professional knowledge or expertise (depending on the scholarship received). Evidence of enrollment must be provided by January 1 to receive the scholarship money. In unforeseen extenuating circumstances, a recipient may receive a one-year deferment if approved by the AWCA Executive Board.
The Application Timeline
The scholarship application process traditionally begins in February. The application deadline is in April, and winners will be notified in May. The AWCA President presents the scholarships to the recipients or their designees during the June General Meeting. The application package includes all relevant dates. Members can also find the important application dates on the calendar, in the newsletter and social media posts.
How do I apply?
You will find the rules, eligibility and instructions in the application package. You will also need to download, complete and submit this cover sheet with your other application materials. To ensure a fair review, applications are always reviewed “blind;” all mentions of your name, the AWCA member to whom you are related, and any other identifying information will be removed from your application materials prior to review by the Scholarship Committee. Good luck!
Any questions? Please contact the AWCA Scholarship Chair at email@example.com.